This Month in the Garden
THINGS To DO IN JUNE
WATER, HOUSEPLANTS & MULCH
1) Water containers and new additions to the garden at dawn & dusk to reduce evaporation.
2) House plants need regular watering plus an all purpose (20-20-20) water soluble fertilizer
3) Apply extra mulch to retain water and reduce heat stress to roots.
THINGS TO DO IN JULY
LAWNS & BIRDBATHS
1) Raise the cutting height of your mower to help the lawn survive drought & heat.
2) Moving bird baths to a shady spot will help keep water temps lower and reduce evaporation
THINGS TO DO IN AUGUST
VEGETABLES, LAWNS, IRIS & DAYLILIES
1) Plant a fall garden of broccoli, cauliflower, collards, beets, lettuce, english peas, spinach, turnips and mustard.
2) Don’t mow dry lawns - wait until it rain or you have watered.
3) Divide overcrowded iris and daylilies
THINGS TO DO IN SEPTEMBER
TREES & SHRUBS
1) Fall is a great time for planting trees & shrubs to allow time for root development.
2) Also reduce watering in cooler temperatures. Container plants are at high risk for becoming waterlogged as temperatures drop.
THINGS TO DO IN OCTOBER
TURF, COLOR BEDS & FALL GREENS
1) Overseed turf with annual rye grass
2) Replace spent annuals with cool weather annuals like pansies
3) Plant a fall garden of mustard, collards, turnips & lettuce
THINGS TO DO IN NOVEMBER
COMPOST & FERTILIZE
1) Fall clean up will provide plenty of material to begin composting that will be ready for spring planting.
2) Fertilize cool season lawns.
THINGS TO DO IN DECEMBER
LIME & IRRIGATION
1) Have soil tested and apply lime as needed.
2) Reduce automatic watering systems by approximately half.